Thursday, March 15, 2012

Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Spring Break to me has always been about spending time with family and this last one (THE last one of my college years) was no different. To start the week off, my dad, sister, and I flew out to Kansas to see the KU vs Texas basketball game. While I am a FSU Seminole all the way, I’ve grown up with a strong devotion to KU thanks to my dad. He graduated from KU and, even though he’s not a big sports fan by any means, one of his favorite hobbies has always been following KU basketball. I can remember watching and cheering on KU with him for as long as I can remember. Next to completing his airplane, another life dream for him was to take his daughters to a KU game. And this Spring Break, he did just that.


We drove around the KU campus where my dad reminisced and showed us where he got thrown into the fountain on his birthday and the fraternity house he used to live in. The campus was beautiful and very well maintained.  I was particularly impressed with the architecture of the buildings. To prepare for the game, we stopped by the Student Union and bought some KU gear. Fun fact: The beanie I bought was the same one Olivia Wilde wore when she and Jason Sudeikis went to a KU game not too long ago. With our game attire taken care of, we went to a restaurant called The Noodle Company for lunch (Tallahassee needs to get one of these!) and browsed a super cute shop that sold British memorabilia before checking into our room at the Howard Johnson.

After a quick nap, we headed out to the legendary Allen Fieldhouse. It felt so surreal being somewhere I’ve seen so many times on TV growing up. We came about an hour early, but the student sections were already packed and bursting with school spirit.


The game was wasn’t one of KU’s bests but it was still fun and exciting. They ended up winning (of course) 73-63. It was Senior’s Night so pretty much every KU fan stayed to hear the Senior speeches. Afterwards, my family and I stayed around for my dad to take pictures (See below). We were really happy we managed to get an autograph and photo on the court with Connor Teahan then even more thrilled when we realized all of the players were coming out to meet fans. They were all very nice and courteous and took the time to take pictures and sign autographs. My dad was so excited to meet Tyshawn Taylor he couldn’t stop talking as I took their picture!

Overall, a great start to Spring Break and a very memorable experience that I know neither my dad or I will never forget. Rock Chalk Jayhawk.

Where my dad sat for every basketball during his college years

Sitting on one of the court side chairs the players sit on; with my Daddy <3

On the court with senior Connor Teahan


My new athlete crush, Jeff Withey

Jordan Juenemann and Travis Releford


Ben McLemore & Thomas "T Rob" Robinson

Tyshawn TaylorHappy Belated Birthday to my Daddy who just turned 57 on Tuesday! <3 



No comments:

Post a Comment