Tuesday, May 15, 2012

May "Gossip Girl" Special Edition Birchbox

Gasp! Am I really posting a beauty box review the next day after receiving it instead of the next month?? Yes, it's true! It's amazing what you can accomplish when your schedule opens up during the summer and you get 3 consecutive days off from work ^^ Oh, and I have a little surprise at the end of this post...

But before we get to that, let's talk about this month's Birchbox. I was especially excited this month because Birchbox teamed up with Gossip Girl for a special edition GG-themed boxed. Although I would consider myself a casual GG viewer (Hart of Dixie rules my Monday nights), I was still super excited to see what items lay in store for me since I still consider the show one of the most fashionable on television.

The packaging and presentation for this month's box was a little different from the norm with a few little GG touches. Instead of pink, the outer packaging box was a cool black with pink text. Around the actual Birchbox was a little slip cover that features the New York at night and both the Birchbox and Gossip Girl logos.




Inside, my note from the Birchbox team described my box collection theme as "Downtown Book Party." Interesting. My box consisted of:
  • Twistband Hair Tie - I LOVE these! My big gave me one in a gift bundle and it's my go-to hair tie. They're really soft and stretchy and keep your hair secure without snagging or leaving a crease in your hair. Plus, when you're not wearing them, they look cute on your wrist and you don't have to worry about them digging into your skin and leaving a mark. 
  • Dr. Jart+ Water Fuse Beauty Balm SPF25+ - Yes! I have been looking to invest in a BB cream for quite a while now so I was really happy to see this in my box. I wasn't so thrilled with the tiny size and the fact that it's only half full, however.
  • BLVGARI Omnia Crystalline Eau de Toilette Spray - I think I've gotten a perfume sample in every one of my Birchboxes. I know a lot of people don't like this and it does seem a little repetitive, but I don't mind too much because I don't have any fancy expensive perfume so I pretty much live off these samples. This is a nice scent (the card describes it as "lotus flowers, bamboo, and Nashi pears") but nothing really that special.
  • stila sparkle waterproof liquid eye liner - Ahhh, probably my favorite of the bunch!! And it's a full-sized product too! Awesome! This is a great liquid liner with a really nice precise tip. The color is really unique too - I would describe it as an olive-gold.
  • Ojon volume advance Volumizing Conditioner - Ehh, I have pretty thick hair so I tend to stay away from volumizing hair products. It does have a lovely scent though that reminds me of Aveda products.
  • Extra: XOXO Notecard and Envelope - Cute, but a little lacking, especially after some of the great extras I've had in previous boxes.
Overall, I'm pretty happy with this month's Birchbox. It's not my favorite, but there are certainly some stand out products. I think I just expected a little more because of the Gossip Girl theme.



And a little update on MyGlam, I finally unsubscribed and I feel totally fine with that decision! Especially because Glossy Box just arrived to the US! :D

Now, for my little surprise I mentioned at the beginning of the post...I FINALLY posted my first video on YouTube!! Yay!! Starting a YouTube channel is something I'be been wanting to do for a LONG time so I'm so excited to start posting videos! I already have some tutorials and recent hauls recorded that just need to be edited and uploaded (which takes forever) and TONS of ideas (I've really been planning this a long time) so hopefully I can churn out consistent videos - if my job allows. I'm more used to being behind a camera so it took a little adjusting to and I realize I still need a lot of improvement speaking to a camera - I can't believe how many times I said 'um' lol but I hope in time I'll improve. Anyway, I hope you'll give my channel a look - even if there's only one video uploaded right now - and maybe even subscribe ^^

My YouTube Channel - GeekyFashionista

No comments:

Post a Comment